It’s believed that vinyl siding requires relatively low maintenance and doesn’t need to be painted, however over the time its colour fades, and due to the difference of sun exposure it looks unevenly on different areas of the house. So, looking at your house curb appeal you’ve got this itching feeling to update its look with a fresh coat of paint. The good news is, you can do painting works on vinyl siding. Just check over some rules and limitations to follow while painting your vinyl siding.
– Check, if your warranty is active before getting your heart set on painting. Make sure you comply with any possible stipulations, concerning the type and colour of paint to use.
– Before starting painting works, remove all grease, dirt and chalkiness, by hand-scrubbing the old siding with soap and water. Then thoroughly rinse the siding with plain water. Don’t let water to get behind the siding to avoid the growth of mold and rot.
– If you detect any mildewed surfaces, use oxygen bleach cleaner or any other recommended cleaning solutions.
– As paint directly sticks to the layer beneath it, no matter if it’s bare siding or primer, don’t start with a primer, if it’s not recommended by your paint manufacturer. So, using a primer, always make sure the paint is formulated to stick to it.
– Make sure vinyl siding is designed to be installed slightly sliding back and forth, overlapping seams, moving with the expansion and contraction of the material. If the siding contracts in cold temperatures, there may be a slight colour gap at the seams.
– As dark colour absorbs more heat than lighter one, never choose darker colour of paint than the original colour of your siding. Otherwise, it may cause warping or buckling of the siding.
– Check, if the paint you’ve chosen is specifically designed for vinyl siding specifying “vinyl safe” colours; that won’t absorb too much heat. Typically, they are a blend of urethane and acrylic resins, combining flexibility and excellent adhesion.
– Apply paint either with a brush (with or without a roller) or using spray equipment. For full coverage and absence of drips and heavy areas, don’t forget to backbrush, applying paint with a roller.
– Follow recommendations of your paint manufacturer for specific application tips.
There are many things required for a successful house renovation, but balance, harmony and elegance are some of the ultimate aims to dream of.