Diseases as serious as ovarian cancer usually show us some signs that in many cases we do not relate to this problem.
However, we must take them into account in order to detect it and fight it in time. With these recommendations, you will be able to detect if you can have ovarian cancer and see your doctor as soon as possible.
Early detection of ovarian cancer is essential to treat it without major complications.
About 20% of cases of ovarian cancer are detected in this first stage. This translates into at least a 94% chance of keeping the patient alive.
Stages of ovarian cancer
Ovarian cancer can occur in four stages , depending on the degree of spread of the disease:
- Stage 1: Limited to one or both ovaries
- Step 2: Limited to the pool
- Stage 3: The tumor is outside the pelvis, but limited in the abdomen, or reaches the lymph nodes , but does not include the interior of the liver.
- Stage 4: The tumor has spread to the liver or outside the abdomen.
How to detect ovarian cancer
1. Do routine examinations
Do routine exams from time to time to see if everything is fine. There is nothing like prevention to detect a potential problem in time.
During a vaginal examination, the doctor will feel the size, shape and consistency of your ovaries and uterus.
In this way, certain types of cancer associated with the reproductive system can already be detected at an early stage.
- There is also another test called Pap smear or Pap smear that is effective for the early detection of cervical cancer . However, it can not be used to detect ovarian cancer.
- Ovarian cancer can only be detected by this test if it is already advanced.
2. Monitor the genetic component
About 10% of women with ovarian cancer respond to a genetic cause and in their family there have been cases of ovarian cancer.
- Therefore, these women must undergo mutation analysis in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
- The tests consist of a simple blood test and can determine if the patient is at risk of cancer or is already at an early stage.
3. Do screening tests in advanced cases
If cancer is already diagnosed, to see how far it is , we practice:
- A hysterectomy
- Ovaries and tubal ablation
- Biopsies or dissection of pelvic and aortic lymph nodes
- Biopsies of the peritoneum
If the doctor discovers stage 4 ovarian carcinoma, that is, metastases outside the abdomen or inside the liver, chemotherapy should be performed before the surgery.
Possible treatments for ovarian cancer
Medications used to treat ovarian cancer usually have fewer side effects than other chemotherapy drugs.
There are two ways to administer chemotherapy in ovarian cancer: intravenously or directly to the abdomen.
According to recent studies, intraperitoneal administration has been shown to significantly increase survival. This is the most commonly used method after optimal cytoreductive surgery.
Can we prevent it effectively?
Beyond regular exams, there is no known way to prevent ovarian cancer.
The removal of the fallopian tubes and the ovaries themselves may prevent the disease, but it is a very invasive solution and with serious contraindications and consequences that must be weighed at all times and should be known.
For example, if a woman takes birth control pills for more than 10 years, this greatly reduces the risk of ovarian cancer.
Having a tubal ligation also decreases your chances of having an ovarian tumor.
Anyway, as we said, do not forget to do an annual checkup or a biopsy to analyze the cells and see if everything is fine.
This way, you will feel more serene and this is the best way to detect a problem in time